Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Cloverine Salve

Who knew that in the 1940's and 1950's, selling Cloverine Salve was a popular way for Henry County children to make money. The product was sold in small tins (price was 25 cents then). Included with each tin was a 9x11 inch colored picture "suitable for framing". The young salesperson could opt for a modest commission or build up credit for nice premiums, including air rifles and bicycles. I never knew anyone who earned either of these. Some of the pictures are probably hanging in local homes today. One of the most popular was "The Angelus", a picture of a farm couple pausing from their work in the field as the vesper bells ring at sunset. The Wilson Chemical Company of Tyrone, PA, manufacturer of Cloverine Salve was founded in 1885 and was in business 100 years. The product is made today by another company. Source, personal recollections and The Tyrone, PA. Historical Society. Submitted by Ray Harding.

1 comment:

  1. When I was a foster child in Halifax, Mass. A country area. I sold Cloverine salve and gave a picture of Jesus kneeling on a rock side mountain looking up. that was in the time of 1928 - I am 94 years old now, but that memory is very clear to me. I think they had 4 choices of pictures at that time, but that picture, was most outstanding to me.

    ReplyDelete